01 Sep Tribune Media Foundation Donates $100,000 to Assist Victims of Hurricane Harvey
Company’s TV Stations Organize Local Relief Efforts, Raise Nearly $400,000; More Activities Ahead This Weekend
Sept. 1, 2017—The Tribune Media Company Charitable Foundation today announced it will donate $100,000 to the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund, administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation. The donation will assist relief efforts in Houston and the surrounding area following the devastation of Hurricane Harvey.
“Tribune Media Company and our television stations have a long tradition of service to the community, and the need in Houston is tremendous—we are pleased to help in any way we can,” said Eddie Lazarus, General Counsel and Chief Strategy Officer of Tribune Media Company and a member of the foundation’s board.
“Local television and radio stations and their ability to reach viewers in their communities are crucial in times of crisis. Across the country, broadcast stations were able to communicate quickly, effectively and credibly as the storm developed and in its aftermath,” said Larry Wert, President, Tribune Broadcasting. “In addition to providing critical information, our local stations and their newsrooms have been active in grassroots storm relief efforts, collecting funds and product donations to help support the affected communities and we are committed to helping Texas rebuild.”
In addition to the donation, Tribune Broadcasting’s TV stations across the country have organized relief efforts in their local markets, raising nearly $400,000 in cash donations for the Red Cross, Salvation Army and local Houston charities, with several stations planning phone banks and donation drives in the coming days including:
- Partnering with the Red Cross, WITI in Milwaukee established a hurricane relief phone bank and raised more than $175,000, KPLR and KTVI in St. Louis raised nearly $75,000;
- In Denver, KDVR and KWGN partnered with the Salvation Army on a phone bank and raised nearly $75,000;
- In conjunction with the Alabama Broadcasters Association, WHNT in Huntsville will hold a day-long, state-wide donation campaign on 9/1, “Alabama Broadcasters – Together for Texas” to benefit the Red Cross;
- KSTU in Salt Lake is partnering with the Utah chapter of the American Red Cross for a telethon on 9/1;
In Hartford, WTIC and WCCT are partnering with the University of Connecticut for a text-to- donate effort that will be tied to their home football game on 9/9 benefitting the Red Cross;
- In Seattle, KCPQ and KZJO have partnered with the Seattle Seahawks on a gate drive before the team’s 9/17 game;
- In Kansas City, WDAF has partnered with a local grocery chain, for in-store donations at check out through 9/17. Also, the station has created a special t-shirt which is available for purchase at FOX4store.com to benefit Heart to Heart International.
“Tribune Broadcasting owns and operates television station KIAH-TV in Houston and many of the station’s employees have been directly affected by the hurricane. Our hope is through our resources and reach we can help put their lives and communities back together,” said Wert.
Tribune Media Company (NYSE: TRCO) is home to a diverse portfolio of television and digital properties driven by quality news, entertainment and sports programming. Tribune Media is comprised of Tribune Broadcasting’s 42 owned or operated local television stations reaching more than 50 million households, national entertainment network WGN America, whose reach is approximately 80 million households, Tribune Studios, and a variety of digital applications and websites commanding 60 million monthly unique visitors online. Tribune Media also includes Chicago’s WGN-AM and the national multicast networks Antenna TV and THIS TV. Additionally, the Company owns and manages a significant number of real estate properties across the U.S. and holds a variety of investments, including a 31% interest in Television Food Network, G.P., which operates Food Network and Cooking Channel. For more information please visit www.tribunemedia.com.
SVP, Corporate Relations