05 Jun WHNT News 19 Wins 16 Alabama Associate Press Awards
Station wins 13 First Place Awards, Including Outstanding News Organization, And 3 Second Place Awards
HUNTSVILLE, AL – June 5, 2019 – WHNT, Tribune Broadcasting’s Huntsville Alabama television station, is pleased to announce News 19 has won 16 Alabama Associated Press Awards, 13 first place Awards, including Outstanding News Organization, and 3 Second Place Awards.
The Alabama Associated Press Media Editors are comprised of newsroom leaders and journalism educators working with the Associated Press promoting responsible journalism to present awards for journalistic excellence.
“Day in and day out our station focuses on the needs of our community. It’s rewarding to see the Alabama Associated Press recognize them for their hard work.” said Stan Pylant, President/General Manager, WHNT.
Said Paul Caron, News Director, WHNT News 19, “Our journalists deliver results. Taking home 16 honors including Outstanding News Operation reflects our dedication to serve and high standards. We are proud to be North Alabama’s News Leader.”
THE FOLLOWING ARE WHNT’S AP AWARDS:
- Outstanding News Operation – WHNT
- Best Sports Feature – Taylor Tannebaum and Shane Hays, “Benny Perrin’s Battle with CTE“
- Best Documentary – “Speak Up: Taking Action to Prevent Suicide“
- Best Series – Kristen Conner and Shane Hays “Keep Your Kids Safe“
- Best News Anchor – Jerry Hayes
- Best News Feature – Christine Killimayer and Gregg Stone – “Survivor“
- Best Investigative Reporting – Chelsea Brentzel and Shane Hays – “What’s in the Water?’ A Taking Action Investigation”
- Best Regularly Scheduled Newscast – Justin Barr and Stephanie Muse
- Best Coverage of a Scheduled Event – “Rocket City Trash Pandas’ Team Name Reveal“
- Best Sports Program – Rocco DiSangro, Britton Lynn, and Olivia Whitmire – “2018 Iron Bowl Preview“, produced by Justin Barr.
- Victor Irving Best Staff Photography – Gregg Stone, Shane Hays, and Justin Allison
- Best Specialized Reporter – Jerry Hayes, Shane Hays, and Gregg Stone
- Stan Tarilton Best Photographer – Shane Hays
- Best News Feature – Chelsea Brentzel – “Gait Closed: How a Suspect’s Walk Cracked a Cold Case Robbery“
- Best Reporter – Kristen Conner
- News Anchor – Christine Killimayer
Tribune Media Company (NYSE: TRCO) is home to a diverse portfolio of television and digital properties driven by quality news, entertainment and sports programming. Tribune Media is comprised of Tribune Broadcasting’s 42 owned or operated local television stations reaching approximately 49 million households, national entertainment cable network WGN America, whose reach is more than 75 million households, Tribune Studios, and a variety of digital applications and websites commanding 49 million monthly unique visitors online. Tribune Media also includes Chicago’s WGN-AM, the national multicast networks Antenna TV and THIS TV and Covers Media Group, an unrivaled source of online sports betting information. Additionally, the Company owns and manages a significant number of real estate properties across the U.S. and holds a variety of investments, including a 31% interest in Television Food Network, G.P., which operates Food Network and Cooking Channel. For more information please visitwww.tribunemedia.com.
220 East 42nd Street, 10 Floor
New York, NY 10017