07 Apr WGN America Posts Best Primetime Month in Network’s History
Network Delivers Significant Ratings Growth in Prime, +15% in First Quarter; Second Consecutive Quarter of Audience Growth
April 7, 2017 – Fueled by the continued momentum of its original series, “Outsiders” and “Underground,” the burgeoning entertainment destination WGN America posted the best monthly audience delivery in the history of the network in March 2017 among Total Viewers and the best month in prime in 7 years among Adults 25-54 in Live + 3 viewing.
In March 2017, while ad-supported general entertainment cable networks fell an average of -7% in prime versus a year ago, WGN America grew +5% among Adults 25-54 in March, representing the seventh consecutive month of audience growth in Live + 3.
The first quarter of 2017 marks WGN America’s second consecutive quarter of audience growth and the best quarter in primetime in 7 years among Total Viewers and Adults 25-54. The network significantly expanded its audience +15% among Adults 25-54 over the prior year, while ad-supported general entertainment networks fell an average of -6% in prime.
Powering the record monthly and quarterly ratings are the network’s hit original series produced by Sony Pictures Television, “Outsiders,” which averages 2 million Total Viewers and 874K Adults 25-54 across its Tuesday night cume, and “Underground,” which averages more than 1.9 million Total Viewers and 909K Adults 25-54 on Wednesday nights.
- In March 2017, WGN America posted its best month ever among Total Viewers (+7%, 446K) and Adults 25-54 (+5%, 157K) vs. a year ago.
- In the first quarter of 2017, WGN America earned its second consecutive quarter of audience growth and considerably increased its core demo, Adults 25-54 (+15%, 141K), and in Total Viewers (+7%, 395K) vs. a year ago.
- On Tuesday nights at 9 p.m., the Appalachian drama “Outsiders” averages more than 1.3 million Total Viewers and 628K Adults 25-54. The performances of the 9 p.m. telecast represents an outstanding +305% increase over the network’s prior time period average among Total Viewers and +250% in Adults 25-54 in Live + 3 delivery. Across the night, the hit Appalachian drama draws 2 million Total Viewers and 874K Adults 25-54.
- The Underground Railroad thriller “Underground,” averages more than 1.3 million Total Viewers and 659K Adults 25-54 on Wednesday nights at 10 p.m. The 10 p.m. telecast delivery represents a remarkable +657% increase over the network’s prior Adults 25-54 time period average and +555% in Total Viewers. “Underground” scores 1.9 million Total Viewers and 909K Adults 25-54 on Wednesday nights.
- Each week, “Underground” sets Twitter ablaze as the #1 most social cable drama on Wednesday nights.
[Source: Nielsen Media Research, Live + 3; Nielsen Social Content Ratings]
About WGN America
WGN America, the flagship entertainment network of Tribune Media Company (NYSE: TRCO) is nationally distributed in approximately 80 million homes via cable, satellite and telco, with high-quality entertainment programming including the breakout hit series “Outsiders” and “Underground.” The network also brings its audience a strong slate of popular first-run syndicated series and blockbuster movies. Follow the network on Twitter @wgnamerica. For additional information, please visit www.wgnamerica.com.
About Sony Pictures Television
Sony Pictures Television is one of the television industry’s leading content providers, producing and distributing programming worldwide in every genre and for every platform. In addition to managing one of the industry’s largest libraries of award-winning feature films, television shows and formats, SPT is home to a thriving US production business and operates 17 wholly-owned or joint venture production companies in 13 countries around the world. SPT’s worldwide networks portfolio includes 150 channel feeds, which are available in 178 countries reaching more than 1.3 billion cumulative households worldwide. Sony Pictures Television (SPT) is a Sony Pictures Entertainment Company.
Rita Cooper Lee
WGN America and Tribune Studios